INTRODUCING THE HUB
Read&Write can be updated by pushing out the latest version of the Read&Write MSI or by pushing out the patches.
To check your version of Read&Write, go to Read&Write Settings > About Read&Write.
Updating using the latest MSI Before installing Read&Write, Microsoft .Net Framework 4.6 must be installed on the computer.
You can get the latest version of the Read&Write redistributable MSI from our Essentials Site. Just enter your Read&Write Product Code and you’ll find the Read&Write Installer link under Read&Write for Windows > Installer in the Navigation section.
Read&Write Essentials - If you are using a Group or Unlimited license this will download the installer package. You will find the MSI in the Downloads folder.
For Single or Access to Work licenses a self extracting exe will be downloaded. This cannot be deployed across a network.
For more detailed information on installing Read&Write, visit the Installation Guide section of our website.
Updating using the patches - You can get the links to the patches that have been released for Read&Write (v12) from our Patch Downloads list. If you don’t have the link to our Patch Downloads list, contact us with your Product Code and we can send this to you. Each patch must be installed individually and sequentially.
Read&Write is compatible with the new version however new modern commenting within the Word documents currently does not support displaying Read&Write Voice Notes.
As a temporary work around until support is added, please follow the steps outlined below to view and use your Read&Write Voice Notes in Word 2021:
To view Voice Notes in the Word document:
In Word 2021, click on the Review tab on the Word Ribbon Click on Reviewing Pane Comments will now be visible in the Revisions pane Double click on the Voice Note icon to listen to the voice note Voice note icon Alternatively you can insert Voice Notes directly into the document by changing the setting in Read&Write Click on the Settings button on the Read&Write toolbar Click on Show more settings... Click on Voice Note in the menu pane Turn on Insert directly in the document Voice note will now insert new voices notes directly into the Word document
To activate Read&Write on an offline computer, you will need an internet connection on another computer.
If you are using a Group or Unlimited license and your computer is offline, please contact us Texthelm directly..
To activate Read&Write offline:-.
1. Open Read&Write on your computer.
2. Click the More button on the Read&Write tab at the top of your screen.
3. Click the Offline Activation option.
Offline Activation option
4. A link will be displayed. Copy this link to a machine that has an internet connection.
5. Paste the link into the browser on the computer that has an internet connection.
6. Enter the details for this license and click on Generate.
Enter details page
7. Select the location that you want to save the file to, then click Save.
Save As Window
This can be saved to a USB so it can be used on the offline computer.
8. On the offline computer, Click on the More button on the Read&Write tab and select Import License.
9. Browse to and select the zip file that was created on the online computer. This could be on a USB or location that the offline computer can access. Do not extract the zip file before selecting it.
Read&Write will now be activated.
In Read&Write for Windows the following features need Internet Access:
- Initial sign in and activation
- Automatic updates
- Check It
- Picture Dictionary
- Vocabulary List
- Highlighting in PDF Reader
- Online Dictation/Talk&Type
We have a number of additional voices that you can download and install for Read&Write for Windows. To do this:-
Go to our Essentials Website and enter your Product Code.
1. Once logged in, go to Read&Write for Windows > Additional Voices
2. Essentials Read&Write for Windows
3. Download and install the voice you want to add to Read&Write.
4. When the voice has been installed, open Read&Write.
5. Click on the Settings button, then Show more settings...
6. Read&Write Settings
7. If you're using the Read&Write for Work toolbar, click on the Settings button and then Settings.
8. Read&Write for Work Settings
9. In Read&Write settings, go to Speech and select the voice you installed from the Voice drop down list.
10. Speech Settings
11. Read&Write will now use the new voice you installed.
Arabic Male Tarik Australian Male Lee Australian Female Karen Brazilian Portuguese Female Lucina Chinese (Mandarin) Female Tian-tian Dutch Female Claire French Canadian Female Chantal French Canadian Male Nicholas French Female Audrey French Male Thomas German Female Anna German Male Yannick Hindi Female Lekha Italian Female Alice Irish Female Moira Indian English Female Veena Norwegian Female Nora Polish Female Ewa Portuguese Female Catarina Russian Female Melina Scottish Female Fiona South African Female Tessa Spanish Female Monica Swedish Female Alva UK Female Serena US Female Allison
If you’ve scanned a document from a scanner to a PDF, it may produce an image that will need to be OCR’d (Optical Character Recognition) in order to be readable by Read&Write.
Read&Write already has an option to OCR PDFs so they can be read back with our PDF Reader.
To scan a file:-
1. Click the Scan button on the Read&Write toolbar.
Scan button Read&Write for Work Scan button
2. Click the Scan from file option.
Scan from file
3. Drag and drop, or browse to select the file that you want to scan and select the type of file you’d like to create.
Select your file
4. Click the Scan button.
5. Windows Explorer will open with the Save As option. Choose a name and location for the file.
When scanning has completed, the new file can be opened and read using the PDF Reader option in Read&Write.
In order to use Read&Write for Windows in the Chrome browser, you’ll need to install the Support for Read&Write Desktop extension.
This Chrome extension lets you use your Read&Write for Windows toolbar to read text, look up words, collect highlights to Word, and more.
To install, just open Read&Write for Windows and then open the Chrome browser. A new tab will open prompting you to install the extension
1. Click the blue Add to Chrome button.
2. Once the extension has been installed, just refresh your tabs and you’ll be able to use Read&Write in Google Chrome. If you are not automatically prompted to install the Support for Read&Write Desktop extension, you can also install it from here;
Texthelp provides five years of product support from the general availability date, in line with that policy, support for Read&Write versions 10.0 and 11.0 ended on 1st October, 2018.
What does End of Support mean?
End of support means that Texthelp no longer provides technical support, including product and/or security updates, for all derivatives of a product or product version (e.g., localized versions, minor upgrades, operating systems, dot and double-dot releases, and connector products).
*Please note Read&Write version 11.5 is fully supported.
What should I do now?
You may continue to use Read&Write version 10.0 or 11.0, but Texthelp will no longer provide any updates or address any existing bugs or security issues in the software. Because of this, it is strongly recommended that you update to the latest version of Read&Write. This will ensure that you benefit from all new functional enhancements and security updates, not to mention support for newer operating systems.